Thursday 12 November 2009

Chicory and apple salad

I don't get around to making salads nearly as often as I ought to-every time I do I am reminded of how refreshing they are, especially when eaten as I prefer, immediately after the main part of the meal. I was thinking early that chicory had effortless cool to it, like a french actress, then I realised that I may be being subconsciously swayed by the word "chic" being it's first syllable..! I think this challenge is addling my brain...



But anyway, for some reason I prefer autumn and winter salads to their seemingly more natural summer counterparts-chicory in particular excites me in a way mere lettuce doesn't. And as long as there's also a hot component to the evening meal on cold winter evenings like this, why leave salads to the summer months?

1. Toast a handful of walnuts in a dry frying pan, or in a low-medium oven until you can smell them. Allow to cool slightly (or thoroughly, if you have the time).

2. Fry half a red onion (chopped) in olive oil until thoroughly soft. Add a good 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Allow to cool slightly.

3. Thinly slice 2 eating apples and toss them in the juice of half a (small) lemon for taste and to prevent discolouration.

4. Roughly break up 2 handfuls of chicory leaves.

5. Mix the chicory and apple slices together thoroughly.

6. Arrange the mixture on your plate, followed by the red onion, walnuts and about 100g of small feta chunks. Drizzle olive oil liberally over the salad. You can also sprinkle over some finely chopped parsley if you have any.

No comments:

Post a Comment