Wednesday 11 November 2009

Moroccan-style fish stew

I've been cooking this for a long time, since I first moved away from home and before any real interest in cooking developed (as opposed to eating, I was always interested in that!). It's one of the few meals that have survived in my reportoire from that time, the rest having been discarded either because they were boring, or because they were things that my mother taught me at home that I've since decided make more sense being cooked for a family rather than for one or two. It shows an initial interest in the sort of cooking I love to do now, but can be simplified for the simplest of stock cupboards. If you prefer, you can leave out the chickpeas, possibly double the amount of fish used, and serve with rice. I'm pretty sure I initially saw this recipe on a tv programme, but anything more detailed than that has been lost to the mists of time-do tell if you recognise it!

Serves 2

Ingredients

1 white skinned fish fillet (~250g) or a handful of prawns
200g canned chickpeas (or 100g dried, already soaked and fully cooked)
400g tin of tomatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 inch fresh ginger (or 1tsp ground)
1tsp cumin
1tsp turmeric
1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp ground)
1tsp honey
pinch of dried chilli/paprika
flaked almonds (optional)
fresh parsley/coriander (optional)


Instructions

1. Heat some olive oil in a large pan and add the onions and garlic. Fry until softened.

2. Add all the spices and cook for a minute or two, stirring.

3. Add the tin of tomatoes and cook for ten minutes.

4. Add the fish fillet, cut into chunks, and cook for 5 minutes until tender. If using prawns cook for less.

5. Add the chickpeas and the honey and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.

6. Optional: garnish with fresh coriander and flaked almonds (toasted for a few minutes in a dry frying pan until golden brown).

1 comment:

  1. Wow, this sounds delicious! This is exactly the kind of one-pot, meatless dinner that I love. I think this is going into my menu planning for next week. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete